San Francisco/San Mateo, CA
An immediate opening is available for an experienced Field Representative/Organizer position, working under the supervision of the Hotel Division Director. UNITE HERE Local 2 is a progressive labor organization. We represent over 14,000 workers who work at hotels, restaurants and clubs in San Francisco and San Mateo counties. Our goal and commitment is to develop leadership among the rank and file members, organize the unorganized and to build a strong union based on membership involvement and participation.
Candidates must demonstrate a commitment to working for social justice by building a strong labor movement. The position entails irregular hours including work in the evenings and weekends. Specifically, Cantonese speakers are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Represent members in grievance procedures.
- Mobilize members to participate in picket lines, rallies and demonstrations.
- Work with union shop steward and leaders to defend the union contract and carry out the union’s city-wide program.
- Identify and develop leadership among the rank and file members.
- Conduct union committee meetings.
- Experience as a union representative and/or organizer preferred.
- Willing to work long hours and weekends, as needed.
- Commitment to rank and file leadership development.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work with a diverse, multi-cultural membership.
- Ability to speak one of the following languages preferred: Cantonese, Spanish or Tagalog.
- Commitment to organize the unorganized.
Salary and Benefits
- Excellent benefit package, including Health and Dental Insurance, Pension, Legal Assistance and Car Insurance allowance for business use.
Submit a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com, or:
UNITE HERE Local 2
Attn: Matthew Stewart
209 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
(or via fax: 415-864-4158)
For questions, contact Matthew at (415) 864-8770 ext. 731
UNITE HERE Local 2 is an equal opportunity employer. All persons regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, religious affiliation and sexual orientation are actively encouraged to apply. People of color and women strongly urged to apply.
WHEN APPLYING: Be sure to indicate that you saw this information at UNIONJOBS.COM.